It is required to convert test results created in versions prior to TestArchitect 8.3 into the new XML format. This topic explains how
to convert test results and several important notes for test result conversion.
, XML result
has been introduced to view test results in a web browser.
XML result model provides the following advantages
when compared to the previous result model.
- Less memory footprint: The amount of memory that TestArchitect uses or references while opening and
viewing test results is less.
- Smaller parsing times: The operation process is faster, such as
open test results, import/export test results, etc.
- Smaller test result compression: Test results take up less hard
drive space; therefore, the repository's size is reduced.
Test results generated in earlier TestArchitect versions
must be converted to the current XML format, before you can view them. TestArchitect convert test results created in previous versions
automatically when you first open them in TestArchitect Client.
Test result conversion is a one-way process: the converted test results cannot be
opened in TestArchitect versions prior to 8.3.
Important notes for test result conversion
- Before converting test results, remember to back up your
- Conversion duration might take up to several hours for colossal test results' size. It
is advised that:
- reduce the size of your repository by exporting old
test results to archive files. Note that, also select the Remove
from repository option to delete the source test results from the
- schedule to convert test results when your teams are idle;
- do not interact with the repository while the result conversion is taking
- do not abort the ongoing conversion process to prevent data corruption.
- To save time, you can perform multiple result conversions simultaneously based on your
- For primary-replication repositories, data is synchronized between the primary repository and the replication repository
when test result conversion happens. This synchronization might be slow in case of huge
test results, long distance location, or network problems, etc. It is highly recommended
that you do the following to convert test results:
- Convert test results on the primary repository as usual. (Learn more.)
- Export the primary repository.
- Import the repository as a
- Viewing new XML results in a web browser:
- To view XML test results in the Internet Explorer
browser, ensure that Active Content is enabled. (Learn
- It is highly recommended that you open test results in the Google
Chrome browser, and also set Chrome as the default
browser, because Chrome takes up less RAM while opening huge
results compared to other web browsers.
How to convert test results
- Converting results interactively: To upgrade your test results to the
current XML format:
- In TestArchitect Client, from the TestArchitect explorer tree, select and double-click a test
- TestArchitect automatically converts the test result
to the new XML format and open it.
- Converting results from the command line: To perform a mass XML
conversion for a given repository, use XML Result Conversion command
line tool instead on the repository server machine. (Learn more.)