The TestArchitect Diff Tool can be used to detect and display the
differences between two TestArchitect explorer tree folders. It can also be
used to synchronize folders.
The Diff Tool
can be used to perform comparisons between top-level
nodes, folders and subfolders of the following nodes in the TestArchitect explorer tree
- Picture Checks
Note that, in the case of image comparisons, only
fully matching images (on a pixel-by-pixel basis) are treated as identical. (Learn
Note: The Diff Tool supports folder comparisons not just within
a single repository, but across different repositories and repository servers.
Important folder comparison/synchronizing features are indicated in this figure.
Explanatory text for each feature can be found below.
Save the changes you have made.
Note: The changes you
make, such as folder synchronization, only take immediate effect in temporary
memory. Once you click the Save button, those changes are saved into
- Previous Difference:
previous difference, relative to the currently selected line. Use this to step backwards
(upwards) through differences between the files.
Note: This button is disabled when the currently
selected line is at or above the first detected difference in the
- Next Difference:
Selects the next
difference, relative to the currently selected line. Use to step forwards (downwards)
through differences between the files.
Note: This button is disabled when the currently
selected line is at or below the first detected difference in the
Undoes changes you have made.
Redoes changes you have made.
Re-scans the folders or nodes and
updates the differences. (Use after changes have been made within one or both
- If the tool detects unsaved changes in either of the currently displayed nodes
or folders, the following warning dialog box appears:
- Yes: Reload data without saving changes.
- No: Cancel the refresh operation.
- If the repository containing the item is disconnected, the following warning
message is displayed:
- Yes: Close the Diff Tool
- No: Close the warning dialog box without reloading
- Expand All: Expand all folders on the Source and Target
- Collapse All: Collapse all folders on the Source and
- You can collapse a folder in which you are not interested by clicking the plus
(+) button to the left of its icon. Click again to expand.
- To expand/collapse all child nodes belonging to a specific folder, simply
right-click the folder, and then select Expand
- Hide Options:
- View Options:
- Highlight Background: (Default=on)
Show/hide the background color for each different line.
- Text Color: Show/hide text color for each different
- Selected Rows:
- Select Changed: Select all rows on the Source and Target
panels which contain items that have the same name but different content.
- Select Inserted: Select all rows containing items that are
present in the Target panel.
- Select Removed: Select all rows containing items that are
present in the Source panel.
- Select All: Select all rows in the Target and Source
- Deselect All: Deselect all rows that were previously
selected in the Target and Source panels.
- Copy Selected:
Enable folder synchronization. (Learn more.)
- Copy from Source to Target Panel: Copy selected project
items and folders from the Source panel into the Target panel.
- Copy from Target to Source Panel: Copy selected project
items and folders from the Target panel into the Source panel.
- Column separator:
Drag column separators in the header area
to change column widths.
- Different project items:
Those folders containing any
differences, anywhere in their subhierarchies, from their counterparts in the opposite
panel, are indicated with a yellow star adornment.
Those project items and folders which are present
in the target but not the source hierarchy are indicated with a green background
color, and displayed alongside unlabelled icons in the source
Those project items and folders which are present in
the source but not the target hierarchy are indicated with a peach background color,
and displayed alongside unlabelled icons in the target
Paired project items that are not identical are
indicated with a small red dot adornment, and a lavender background color.
Paired project items of the source and target
panels (that is, those that exist in the same place in the respective hierarchies,
have identical names, and identical contents) are, by default, not shown. (This is to
avoid displaying excessive and unnecessary lines in the panels.)
Note: To override the
default and display the unchanged elements of each hierarchy, select to toggle that option.
- Status: (including change summary)
The status bar displays
the progress of the current diff process, along with a count of the comparison
outcomes between the folder hierarchies.
- the total number of differences found
- the number unchanged (identical) project item pairs
- the number of changed project items
- the number of inserted project items (present in the target but not the source
- the number of removed project items (present in the source but not target
Working with multiple Diff Tool windows
A unique Diff Tool window is launched every time you
invoke the Diff Tool. Hence, it is possible to have multiple Diff
Tool windows open concurrently, each displaying a separate comparison.
Tip: From a Diff Tool window, you can launch another
Diff Tool window by right-clicking an item row, and then selecting
Launch Folder Comparisons for Selection or Launch Item
Comparisons for Selection.